The Coming Out Monologues
Call for Submissions! Deadline: September 7th
October 11-12, 2018 | Thurs, 7:30PM, FRI, 8PM
Onyx Theater | Tickets: $5, Students Free
We are currently accepting submissions to the 2018 production of The Coming Out Monologues! If you would like to share your monologue, please use the link below. To learn more about submission requirements, please click on the "Call for Submissions" tab below.
We look forward to reviewing your submission! Thank you for your support of the Coming Out Monologues project!Submit your Coming Out Monologue
The Coming Out Monologues Project is a collaboration between LGBTQ Student Programs and the Department of Theatre & Performance Studies.
Tickets are required for this performance. Please contact the KSU Box Office at 470-578-6650. Student tickets are free with a valid KSU ID, but must be reserved in advance. Admission for non-KSU students is $5.00 and may be purchased by calling the Box Office or online.
National Coming Out Day is an annual event celebrated on October 11th, which marks the anniversary of the 1987 March on Washington for Gay and Lesbian Rights. To celebrate this event LGBTQ Student Programs, in collaboration with the Department of Theatre and Performance Studies, annually hosts a production of The Coming Out Monologues at Kennesaw State University. The purpose of this production is to present the many aspects of the coming out process as experienced by the various members of the LGBTQ community. We wish to include coming out stories from numerous backgrounds and perspectives, including advocates, allies, parents, friends and persons who identify within the LGBTQ spectrum of identities.
First produced at UC Riverside in 2007, The Coming Out Monologues are inspired by The Vagina Monologues. Since the first performance, The Coming Out Monologues have been performed at universities across the country.
Call for Submissions
Who Should Submit?
- Anyone who identifies along the spectrum of LGBTQ identities.
- Parents and family members of LGBTQ identified individuals.
- Advocates and Allies of the LGBTQ community.
- Anyone who has had someone come out to them.
- Those who have not yet come out as LGBTQ.
Information for Authors
FINAL SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 7th
Please use link below to access The Coming Out Monologues Submission Form.
- Monologues should be between 650-1,200 words or between 1-4 pages double spaced. The performance time should be 3-7 minutes.
- All submissions must be Microsoft Word.
- For assistance and guidance on how to write a monologue, please click here. We also encourage authors to visit the KSU Writing Center for assistance.
- Student actors will be performing the submissions we receive. Authors will not be performing their own submissions. This production is a collaboration between LGBTQ Student Programs and the Department of Theatre & Performance Studies; TPS student actors will be performing submissions.
- You do have the option to remain anonymous as an author or to have your name and biographical information printed in the programs. If you wish to remain anonymous, we still require your name and contact information in order to edit and accept your work. Only the staff of LGBTQ Student Programs will have access to this information and will keep it confidential.
- TPS and LGBTQ Student Programs reserve the right to edit submissions for content and
length. Every effort will be taken to maintain the integrity of the submission and
to obtain author approval before finalizing any changes.
Monologue Writing Workshops
Have you heard about the Coming Out Monologues? We all have a coming out story... why not share yours?
The KSU Writing Center is hosting a Coming Out Monologues Writing Workshop that will help you formulate your thoughts and delve deeper into your piece or help you come up with what you want to share. This workshop is all about expression and there is no pressure to submit to the show.
- September 5, 3:30-5:00PM, EB242